Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Visitors

I have had a number of visitors in the past few weeks, and it was wonderful. David (born April 25th, 1976)come up to visit for a weekend first, and that was great. Long distance relationships are challenging and I think it helped him out to see exactly what it is I've gotten myself into up here. We spent a night in Prince Rupert, and then came back the next morning so I could go to a staff meeting. We spent the rest of the weekend wandering around, checking places out, David getting checked out by my friends and students, and watching a bald eagle take a big poo off a rock. I have it on video if anyone would like to check it out. Classic moment.
My mom came up the next weekend, which was Easter. I met her in Rupert and we spent the afternoon there with Nav, Lillian and Joe before catching the ferry back to Lax Kw'alaams. I think the highlight of that was seeing orcas out the window of the pub we were having lunch in. I was so excited! I hadn't ever seen a whale in the wild! Lillian said I was like a kid on Christmas morning, but I think I was a little bit more restrained than that. I might have shoved my mom slightly to get a better view, but that's normal, right?
Mom and I managed to spot quite alot while she was here. We walked around the boardwalk on Saturday and a pod of porpoises were just off the shore! I have video of that aswell, but it's a bit jumpy because Elva (Mike and Stacy's dog) decided to pull on her leash right when one of them was jumping, but if you can handle the seasick feeling you get from watching it, it's pretty cool. After that we went up to the Rec Centre and watched the Easter activities they had going on. Well, Mom watched, I got roped into doing one with Lillian that involved her swinging a potatoe hung in pantyhose that were tied around her waist and me attempting to catch it between my knees. We looked quite ridiculous, but I got a pretty white 3rd place ribbon out of it.
Mom had to fly out on Monday, so we spent Sunday night in Rupert. We wandered around to galleries and shops for most of the afternoon and then had an awesome dinner on the harbour. She left first thing in the morning, so I had to kill a few hours in Rupert by aimless walking town trying to get a haircut. Of course, nothing was open, so I ended up making some impulse purchases at the local sporting goods store and having a hilarious conversation with the owner about pens.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dread Pirate Robert said...

Hey! Where are you?

5:58 a.m., July 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home